Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Are suspects in Bondi Beach shooting from India or Pak? Here’s what Australian PM revealed

Date:

One of the key questions in the Bondi Beach shooting incident is the suspects’ country of origin. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese refused to divulge details, saying, “it wouldn’t be appropriate to undermine the investigation”.The Prime Minister, along with Chris Minns, Premier of New South Wales, and senior police officials, held a press conference on the tragic incident, which claimed 15 lives.

Here is what the Prime Minister said:
Journalist: Can you just confirm – there’s been a lot of misinformation flying around about the student visa that Tony Burke mentioned yesterday. Can you confirm the country of origin, whether it’s India or Pakistan? Also, how long were they in the Philippines, and was that monitored by Filipino intelligence agencies?Prime Minister: They are all part of the investigation, so I can’t go into that detail, and it wouldn’t be appropriate to undermine the investigation by going into it.

Also, the Telangana Police told the media that one gunman, Sajid Akram, was originally from Hyderabad but had limited ⁠contact with his ​family in ‍India. “The family members have expressed no ‌knowledge of his radical mindset or activities, nor of ⁠the circumstances ⁠that led to his radicalisation,” ​Telangana state ‌police said in ‍a statement.

The police said Sajid Akram completed his B.Com degree in Hyderabad and migrated to Australia for a job in November 1998. He subsequently married Venera Grosso, a European origin woman before settling permanently in Australia. They have one son, Naveed (one of the two attackers) and one daughter. Sajid Akram carries the Indian passport as on date, and his son Naveed Akram and daughter were born in Australia and are Australian citizens, the police added.

The police said that Sajid visited India on six occasions after migrating to Australia, primarily for family-related reasons such as property matters and visits to his elderly parents.

Earlier in the day, the Philippines Bureau of Immigration said the two alleged gunmen travelled to the Philippines on November 1 aboard ‌Philippine ‌Airlines Flight PR212 from Sydney to Manila and onward to Davao, reported Reuters.

A spokesperson for the bureau said Sajid, 50, an Indian national and Australian resident, travelled on an Indian passport, while his son Naveed, 24, an Australian national, used an Australian passport. Both arrived together on that flight.

They departed on November 28 on the same flight number, PR212, from Davao via Manila back to Sydney.

The attack on December 14 was Australia’s worst mass shooting in nearly 30 ⁠years, and is being investigated as an ​act of terrorism targeting the Jewish ‍community.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Sensex rejig: Trent likely to be replaced in next reshuffle — These two stocks are top contenders

नुवामा अल्टरनेटिव एंड क्वांटिटेटिव रिसर्च के विश्लेषकों के अनुसार,...

Georgia Republicans dig in for runoffs for Senate and governor as campaigns go into overtime

Georgia Republicans will keep duking it out among themselves...

Delhivery Q4 Results | Net profit flat amid strong revenue growth

Logistics firm Delhivery Ltd on Saturday (May 16) reported...

At Google I/O 2026, Alphabet rewrites search playbook, unveils Gemini 3.5 Flash – The Hindu

At Google I/O 2026, Alphabet rewrites search playbook, unveils...