Sunday, August 23, 2026

Deputy head of Russian Navy killed by Ukraine in Kursk, official says

Date:

Major General Mikhail Gudkov, the deputy head of the Russian Navy who also led a brigade fighting against Ukraine, has been killed in Russia’s Kursk region, Oleg Kozhemyako, governor of a far eastern Russian region, said on Thursday.Unofficial Russian and Ukrainian military Telegram channels had earlier reported that Gudkov had been killed along with 10 other servicemen in a Ukrainian attack on a command post in Korenevo in the Kursk region, which borders Ukraine.
He is one of the most senior Russian military officers to have been killed by Ukraine since Moscow launched its full-scale war against Ukraine in 2022.
Kozhemyako, who said he had spoken to Gudkov a lot over the years, said in a statement that Gudkov had been killed “carrying out his duty as an officer” along with others, and expressed his condolences to the dead men’s relatives.”When he became Deputy Chief of the Navy, he did not stop personally visiting the positions of our marines,” Kozhemyako said on Telegram.

Gudkov had received awards for bravery in military action against Ukraine and been accused by Kyiv of war crimes. Russian President Vladimir Putin appointed him deputy commander-in-chief of the Navy in March, according to a statement on the Kremlin’s website.

There was no immediate comment from the Russian Defence Ministry or from Ukraine.

Gudkov had led a Marine Brigade of Russia’s Pacific Fleet, which had been fighting in Kursk. Parts of Kursk were seized by Ukrainian forces in a surprise offensive in August 2024 before Russia said earlier this year it had driven them out.

Also Read: Fed chair should be investigated by Congress, FHFA head says

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Will consider requests by subsidiaries of cos for relaxed FDI norms at relevant time: Govt sources

India considers relaxing FDI norms, removing ₹5,000 crore cap,...

As many as 29 FDI proposals worth ₹5,000 cr reported after 10% Chinese stake rule: Official

The decision to permit overseas companies with up to...

Govt denies ethanol diversion caused sugar prices to rise, points to lower output and festive demand

The government on Friday (August 21) rejected claims that...

India’s informal sector shrinks in June quarter as businesses fall 5.4%, employment drops 9.7%

India's unincorporated non-farm sector contracted in the April-June quarter...