Sunday, August 23, 2026

Iran blast: Massive explosion hits Rajaei port, injures at least 406 people

Date:

The number of injured from an explosion Saturday at a port in southern Iran jumped to 406, the state-run IRNA news agency reported.IRNA attributed a previous figure of 281 injured to Mojtaba Khaledi, the spokesman of Iran’s National Emergency Organisation, before the reported injuries rose again.

Blast At Iran Port
The blast happened at the Rajaei port just outside of Bandar Abbas, a major facility for container shipments for the Islamic Republic that handles some 80 million tons of goods a year.Social media videos showed black billowing smoke after the blast. Others showed glass blown out of buildings kilometres away from the epicentre of the explosion.

Authorities have offered no cause for the explosion yet. Industrial accidents happen in Iran, particularly at its ageing oil facilities that struggle for access to parts under international sanctions. But Iranian state TV specifically ruled out any energy infrastructure as causing or being damaged in the blast.

Also Read: Republican megadonor Ken Griffin criticises Trump tariffs: ‘These jobs are not coming back’

Mehrdad Hasanzadeh, a provincial disaster management official, told Iranian state TV that first responders were trying to reach the area while others were attempting to evacuate the site.

Blast Amid Talks

Hasanzadeh said the blast came from containers at Rajaei port in the city, without elaborating. State TV also reported there had been a building collapse caused by the explosion, though there were no immediate other details offered.

Rajaei port is some 1,050 kilometres southeast of Iran’s capital, Tehran, on the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which 20 per cent of all oil traded passes.

The blast happened as Iran and the United States met Saturday in Oman for the third round of negotiations over Tehran’s rapidly advancing nuclear programme.

Also Read: Pak Defence Minister seeks stronger ties with Bangladesh

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Will consider requests by subsidiaries of cos for relaxed FDI norms at relevant time: Govt sources

India considers relaxing FDI norms, removing ₹5,000 crore cap,...

As many as 29 FDI proposals worth ₹5,000 cr reported after 10% Chinese stake rule: Official

The decision to permit overseas companies with up to...

Govt denies ethanol diversion caused sugar prices to rise, points to lower output and festive demand

The government on Friday (August 21) rejected claims that...

India’s informal sector shrinks in June quarter as businesses fall 5.4%, employment drops 9.7%

India's unincorporated non-farm sector contracted in the April-June quarter...